Saturday, October 29, 2011

COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT


COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT!
I recently came upon Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk "Come What May and Love It." While serving a mission, I have realized that you can NOT always control what happens in your life. There will be times where we get a curve ball and we just don't know how to hit it. I looked back to my sophomore year of college when I really learned this lesson. After months of a constant pain in my stomach a doctor decided it was time for surgery. When he proposed the date, I realized it was going to be Spring Break. I had already gotten tickets to go to California, but I decided my health was probably more important... I can tell you I was not a happy camper! The day I went in for surgery, it all hit me. I would have 5 incisions in my stomach, and would not be able to really move for a week. Through all of this the only thing I could think of was... WHY ME!?!?!
Right before I went in for the two hour surgery, I said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to teach me something valuable from this experience. All I can say was, HE DID! When I woke up the first thing the nurse said to me was, “Well I guess it looks like it is time to get you out of here!” I was barely conscious when she told me to get dressed. All I could think was seriously?! I cannot even move! My beautiful mother helped me get out of the bed and let me sit in the recliner chair as she helped me get dressed. She thought it would be a good idea to pull the lever on the side of the chair...bad idea... It was like the scene from Sweet Home Alabama, I flew forward and I could instantly feel the pain shooting up and down my incisions. At that minute though, I decided instead of getting mad at my mom, I would laugh. Even though it HURT, my Mother and I laughed and laughed...Throughout the recovery of that surgery there were many times I just felt like crying, but I decided to rely on the Lord and LAUGH.

Joseph B. Wirthlin"The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."

-Elder Worthilin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment