Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cherry on Top :]

Sabbath Day Observance


“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Exodus 20:8).

"The Lord has given the Sabbath day for your benefit and has commanded you to keep it holy. Observing the Sabbath will bring you closer to the Lord and to your family. It will give you needed rest and rejuvenation. Many uplifting activities are appropriate for the Sabbath. Worship the Lord, attend church, spend quiet time with your family, study the gospel, write letters, write in your journal, do family history work, and visit the sick or home bound. Your dress before, during, and after church meetings should show respect for the Sabbath."
My Stallion like parents who taught us to take family walks on the Sabbath
 Sundays are the perfect days to have that "quality family time." Growing up my parents were very good at teaching us to keep the Sabbath day holy. Even when we went on vacations or trips we would try and do our best. 
I am not going to lie to you, I still think it is hard to keep the Sabbath day holy, but remember we can do hard things.
I remember one Sunday we went over to our family friends house for dessert and to watch the Christmas Devotional. I was with my little brother Max. They had gotten out this HUGE thing of ice cream. We started to dig in. Then we added in the toppings. I put my favorites of chocolate, caramel, and Oreo cookies. Max started to do the same things. However he had mixed up the barbecue sauce with the chocolate sauce on poured it all over his ice cream. He did not realized until he took his first bite, boy was that a face to see. To make him feel a little better, I told him I would try it....bad choice... I started to think about this particular "sundae." I thought I just had this barbecue sauce on some chicken and it tasted great, but on ice cream it was just NO GOOD! It all comes back to what we do on "SUNDAES." The sauce was good just not on the ice cream, lots of the activities are good, but not on the Sabbath. I know it is hard to come up with ideas for the Sabbath but I know as you do your lives will be blessed. I know for the youth it is hard to take a day out of our social lives, but I can tell you, in the end its worth it!

Don't Make it this complicated....


What are some ideas of things to do on the Sabbath???
Comment them to give others ideas!
www.mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment