Tuesday, August 9, 2011

You just got SERVED!

Service to Others
“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another” (John 13:35).
As a missionary we GET to do service once a week, at least. It is personally my favorite activity on a mission. The Sisters and the Elders in our area go to help at a place called Cameron's! I have honestly learned how to serve and to enjoy it. This particular Friday we got to help out at the KIDS CARNIVAL. We were so excited we could not sleep the night before. We had rearranged our whole schedule so that we could come to the carnival, not to have fun but to SERVE inner city Rochester!

I have been very humbled by serving in a big city. I have been able to see how hard lives really can be. I remember complaining if my mom made broccoli soup, and how awful it tasted. After realizing that half of these kids get one meal a day, if that, I don't think I can complain ever again.


I have learned that doing service is the way to peoples hearts, when done with the right attitude. I never realized how service could be FUN! Through our weekly service I have been able to develop lasting relationships with the people we have served. We have been able to find people to teach and  bring unto Christ.
As many of you know, I love to golf. This was the perfect way for me to contribute my talents. I was able to help little kids golf for HUGE TEDDY BEARS!It was something that I loved, and was able to share. To the youth, all I can say is that service can be uber boring...Only if you make it that way! Go out and find someone who needs your help. I promise as you do you will learn more about others, the world and mostly yourself!
Sis. Carver and I enjoying heaven,

I can tell you from experience that as a youth and even now, I think a lot about myself and my problems and how awful they are. However I have learned as I serve, I forget about my problems and they become less, I learn new things and I am blessed for my service!

4th City District
"Service to others is one of the most important characteristics of a disciple of Jesus Christ. A disciple is willing to bear other people’s burdens and to comfort those who need comfort (see Mosiah 18:8–9). Often Heavenly Father will meet the needs of others through you."

So just remember...Think Less you will be blessed :]





No comments:

Post a Comment